I’ve seen several blogs that list anywhere from 25 to 101 things about themselves. Random things. I thought I’d give it a try. I’m sure I won’t get to 101 tonight, so thank you for being patient.
101. I do not have a favorite color. My “favorite” color really is mood dependent, but I like bright colors that I tend to associate with happiness such as yellow (sun and daffodils), bright green (grass), red (not sure why) and pink (again, not sure why).
100. My mother is an 8 year breast cancer survivor which may or may not explain why I like the color of pink. She had a very aggressive form of breast cancer and is lucky to be alive.
99. I am not domestic. I hate to clean and cook. I am very anal and my house can never be clean enough. Although I am not anal in cooking, I am a great cook which leaves many to wonder why I hate to cook so much. I really have no good answer.
98. I currently work full time, go to school full time (master’s degree) and am raising two children completely on my own. I often feel like I am killing myself. I can not wait to be done with school. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
97. I think of years in terms of school years – from the first day back to work in August until the last day of summer break (again in August). This is not a good year. I am not enjoying much about this year and really can not wait for it to be over. Sad but true.
96. I am a school teacher. Did you figure that one out? I love my job, but it is far more work than I ever imagined. I have 33 students in my classroom. 4 of those students served in school suspension recently for violent/aggressive acts (on the same day and not related to each other!). This is my life. The thing that kills me is that in the classroom, these are awesome kids, not perfect by any means, but awesome. However, let them outside in an unstructured area, and they go nuts. One of them actually tried to strangle another student because he didn’t like the nickname the kid had given him. He is not remorseful and sees the strangulation as a natural consequence.
95. Being a teacher means that you fall in love with each and everyone of your students. You can not leave their aches and pains behind. Like a parent, you desperately want to erase all the bad for them, but there is very little that you can do other than continue to love them. My heart is heavy with the pain of past and present students. I do not know how to stop the pain.
94. I am an animal lover. We have 4 cats, a large dog, a corn snake, a red eared slider and dwarf frogs. This is far too many pets for our small home, but I can’t help but take in a stray.
93. I have a bark, but no bite. I like to think that I am big and tough, but I’m not. I hate confrontation.
92. I have incredible friends. Jean has been a good friend for a long time. We can truly be ourselves together. We get each other’s jokes even when no one else does. Catherine has a passion about her that I have never known in a friend before. Lynn is stable and opinionated. She is a great person to go to for advice. Her husband, another incredible person, is a wonderful advice giver from the male perspective. Andrea is always encouraging and talking shop is nice. Jen is another stable friend that has been there for me for quite sometime. There are others. Forgive me if I didn’t list you.
91. I am a Taurus. As such, I don’t have many friends, but my roots run very deep. If you are a friend, expect to be one for life. It’s not easy to earn my trust or my friendship, but once you do, I will do anything for you.
90. I am a Christian. My adult life has not turned out to be anything like I thought it would be which has caused a lot of reflection upon my religious beliefs. While I have issues with many forms of Christianity, the truth is that I fully believe in the trinity. I can not break away from that belief. Everything in me says that the trinity is the truth, Jesus walked this earth, he chose to die for us, and he miraculously rose again.
89. I think I am a horrible example of a Christian. I swear far too much, I don’t go to church, and I don’t pray as often as I should. However, I love like I am supposed to love. I don’t care who you are or what you believe. I care in you as a person. We can have different ideas and opinions, but as long as you and I can talk respectably, we will get along well. We don’t have to have the same beliefs, but be prepared to talk about them.
88. I have a quiet passion about me. I consider things heavily. I ponder and reflect. When I make a decision about something, it is well thought out from every angle.
87. People often think I am quiet. I am an observer. I hear and see things that people do not realize that I have heard or seen. When I do speak, it is knowledgeable and well thought out.
86. I am a great secret keeper. I know soooo many secrets because people trust me with them. It’s always “fun” when I hear about a secret that I already know about. I pretend that I have never heard it before.
85. If I hear a rumor that I find doubtable, I will go to the source to find out the truth. While I may vent my frustrations, I am not a rumor spreader.
84. Integrity is of the utmost importance to me. I strive to be a woman of integrity and I regularly ponder whether I am or not.
83. I used to want to have 5 children and foster children. However, divorce left me raising children on my own and I can no longer imagine having more than the 2 that I have. I still would have liked to have raised foster children, but this is not something that I am willing to do on my own. I simply do not have the energy and frankly, my family is screwed up already. LOL
82. I am not much of a TV watcher. I canceled cable over 2 years ago. I think about getting it again, but I haven’t. I simply have a hard time spending that kind of money on TV.
81. Hope Floats is one of my all time favorite movies.
80. It pisses me off that celebrities and athletes are idolized so much. To me, they are just people. Why are they set above the rest and why do they make so much money???
79. I wish I were rich, but I’m not. Not even close. I am far closer to poverty than I am to being rich. Another sad but true.
78. I love to read. Dean Koontz is my all time favorite author.
77. I love to lay around and be lazy. Since I never really get to do this, I think it is the dream that I in love with.
76. I live for summers.
75. I learned to ski at 34. I suck at it. I have had some incredibly awesome falls and despite it all, it is a BLAST.
74. I am very stubborn.
73. I tend to hide my feelings. If you see me express emotion, either I am at a breaking point or I am simply letting you.
72. I have an unnatural fear of rubber bands, but only if they are being aimed at me. I am working on this fear and doing much better.
71. While I don’t like to have blood drawn, it does not bother me.
70. Whenever I have had surgeries in which I can stay awake, I have. I had one on my arm in which I watched the whole procedure. Another surgery, I watched on the screen.
69. I once packed up my 3 year old daughter, all of our belongings, rented a HUGE U-Haul, hooked up my car behind it, and moved almost 500 miles away.
68. I went back to school as a single mom. I received my bachelors degree at the age of 30.
67. I bought my first home at age 36.
66. My 30s have been pretty good to me. My 20s sucked big time and I gladly bid them ado!
65. My favorite non-alcoholic hot drink is a coffee (as in various types of mochas), cold drink is iced tea, and alcoholic is a Mudslide.
64. Pizza is my all time favorite food.
63. I can not stand to read books more than once although, if I like a book, I will not get rid of it. This really makes no sense to me.
62. Like so many bloggers, I have always wanted to be a writer. I lost my “voice” several years ago and I am in the process of finding it once again.
61. Although I love to write, my strength has always been math. I score amazing on math and science for any type of achievement tests that I take.
60. There is not enough money in the world to pay me to be president. No thanks.
61. Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln and Princess Diana are probably the most influential historical figures on my life. I will never forget the day that Princess Di died.
60. Despite the fact that I have a dog and 4 cats, I am incredibly allergic to all of them. Perhaps I am allergic to children as well. That would explain a lot.
59. The town that I live in is said to be built on an ant hill because the ants are so bad. It disgusts me beyond belief. However, I’ll take these tiny little ants over the huge cockroaches that were all over North Carolina any day of the year.
58. When I was 18, I got married and moved from Oregon to North Carolina. The term “culture shock” took on a whole new meaning!
57. I love shoes. I spend a fortune on shoes. I don’t have a lot of shoes because most of my shoes are between $150 and $200 a pair. This is one area that I will spend a lot of money on without feeling guilty.
56. Even though I am a teacher, I am a horrible student.
55. I hate to cook. I hate it with a passion. I can not tell you why. I have no idea. (yes, I know I already posted this, but it is worth repeating)
54. I love Walmart. It is nice and cheap and I like to go there and browse for things.
53. I am cheap. I have a hard time spending money. Maybe because I don’t have much.
52. My biggest weakness for spending money is going out to eat. I would eat out almost every meal if I could afford it. I really hate to cook (oh yeah, I think I mentioned that before).
51. I should be dead. On April 8, 2008, I was admitted to the hospital with a DVT. My surgeon sternly told my parents that I am lucky to be alive and that I should be dead. Sadly, my 14 year old daughter over-heard this and is still freaked out by it. Every time I see my doctor, he proclaims what a miracle I am. Oh how fun.
50. I love to ski. I’m very horrible at it. I had some incredible crashes. I can’t ski yet because of my health, but I plan to again one of these days. Hopefully within the next two years. That’s my personal goal.
49. If I had a super power, I would choose to be invisible.
48. I have 2 stray cats that live under my house. I need to get them out and seal off the house, but I feel really bad for the cats because it is so cold.
47. I have a tattoo and I want at least one more. It will be symbolic of my children and consist of a yin/yang sign and a dragon. I am not sure where I will place this tattoo, but I am thinking on my back.
46. I am a fast typist and I love to type. It drives me nuts when I am with someone and they type slow. I usually take over. 🙂
45. I hate to go shopping for clothes/go to the mall. Absolutely hate it. I like to shop for home items, but not clothing!
44. I love to wear big, baggy sweatshirts. I look like a slob on days when I can get away with it.
43. I used to be a pack rat. I am currently going through all of my shit junk. It is driving me nuts. WHY did I keep this stuff? Argh.
42. I can’t decide if I love my cats or hate them. The truth is, I love them all and think they are great, but I hate that I have four freaking cats. I wish I knew then what I knew now. Never again will I have more than two at a time. Mark my words.
41. I love my big dog, she’s great, but once she’s gone, I don’t plan on getting another one. Dogs really tie you down.
40. I love thunder and lightening storms – especially when it is still warm outside.
39. The ocean is one of my all time favorite places to be. I can sit and stare at the ocean for hours and feel completely at peace.
38. I hate dating. I hate the games that we tend to play whether we realize it or not. I hate the not knowing what is going on and not knowing exactly where things stand.
That’s all you get for now. Leave me some love. 🙂